Incheon Art Platform Artists-in-Residence 2012
Call for Applications
Incheon Art Platform offers an artist-in-residence program to support artists, art researchers and humanitarians who wish to pursue creative activities in Incheon. Applications are invited from people in art-related fields who would like to produce works, conduct research, etc., during their stay in Incheon.
1. Discipline : Visual Arts, Performing Arts, Humanities/Research, etc.
2. Application Deadline : November 15 (Tue), 2011. 18:00
3. Application Period : November 1 – 15 (Tue), 2011. 18:00
4. Duration of Stay : 3months
(a) March 2 ~ May 30, 2012 / (b) June 1 ~ August 30, 2012
(c) September 1 ~ November 29, 2012 / (d) December 1, 2011 ~ February 28, 2013
* Applicants for 3-month term can chose two types of duration.
¡Ø Artists that are currently residing or previously resided at Incheon Art Platform (IAP) through its Artists-in-Residence program are also eligible for application, and the maximum duration of stay is up to three years.
¡Ø The duration of stay may be extended based on IAP¡¯s internal review of the works created by artists-in-residence for three months after their joining of the program.
5. Qualification for Application
a) The artist should be over 25 years of age on 17 October 2011.
(Should be born after 17 October 1986.)
b) The artist should be working in the field of contemporary art (Regardless of genre).
c) The artist should be independent, and capable of working and living on his or her own.
d) The artist should be able to lead a community life with other artists in the residency.
e) The artist should be able to communicate with people, including joining in the exchange program activities, (talk, lectures, workshops, school visits etc)
f) The artist should be able to explain his or her artwork, and give lectures or workshops in English or Korean.
6. Requirements for Residence
a) Participation in IAP¡¯s Artists-in-Residence program during the duration of stay at IAP (Platform Salon, etc.).
b) Participation in the projects and events planned and organized by IAP, such as the Preview Exhibition (in March), Platform Festival and Open Studio (in September, limited to those artists residing at IAP during that time), the exhibition for displaying results (in January 2012) and performances (showcase).
c) Payment of taxes and dues (related to the personal use of utilities such as electricity, tap water, air-conditioning and heating
d) Admission given to only the actual occupant of studio (A warning will be issued if one fails to stay in the studio for at least ten days a month. If the warning notice is given twice, or the result of assessment after three months is negative, a decision may be taken to let the artist in question out of the studio.)
e) In case where an issue arises between an artist in residence and the local community such as a complaint filed against the artist, the Review Committee may be called for the deliberation of the matter and decide whether or not to have him/her vacate the property. The artist in question shall leave within one week after such notification is made and he/she will be deprived of using his experience at IAP¡¯s Artists-in-Residence program for his career.
f) Close cooperation with IAP and compliance with its rules/policies for the safe use of the property
* The detailed residence policy and operation rules to be notified
7. Support Offered by the Program
1) Private studio and accommodation (one studio per person/per team, in principle)
¡Ø In principle, a performing artist resides in a private studio and is not given a separate practice room.
2) Airfare for residents from overseas (one-time round trip economy class air ticket – reimbursement to be made only for those who submit the receipt after arrival in Korea)
¡Ø The resident should buy a traveler¡¯s insurance in his/her native country before departing for Korea and the copy of it should be submitted to IAP after arrival.
3) Production fees for local collaboration programs or projects in or by Incheon Art Platform (Proposal will be required and participants will be selected)
4) Space for presentation of produced works is provided free of charge at IAP (in project space, performance hall and outside space. In some cases, it may be impossible to meet the participant's requests completely.)
5) Introduction to Korean art scenes, support for artist promotion, etc.
¡Ø The plan for exhibitions and arts activities to be submitted in March-April, a prior review and consultation to be made before providing support
6) Cost of materials, travel, freight, food, artist fees, and other expenses are not paid for under the program. These costs should be borne by the participants. Program participants have to arrange their own delivery of materials for production of works, rehearsals, researches, and so on. After finishing the program, participants must submit a report to IAP.
8. Application Procedure
a) Application Period : November 1 – 15 (Tue), 2011. 18:00 (Korea time, to be strictly observed)
b) How to apply :
- The online application procedures at www.inartplatform.kr to be followed.
- The online application will be closed at 18:00 November 15 (Tue), 2011 (Korea Time). As you may expect a rush in the traffic when the deadline approaches, please prepare and submit your application in advance if you can.
- Please be advised that the application will not be accepted and registered after the deadline, which means that the applicant must fill out the application within the deadline.
- All documents for the application should, in principle, be submitted online at IAP¡¯s website. If it is not possible, the applicant may send them to us via registered mail. Email or in-visit submission is not available.
(If the applicant wishes to send those documents via registered mail, he or she shall obtain the consent from IAP though an email or phone confirmation and make sure that they arrive no later than November 15 (Tue), 2011. Any disadvantage incurred as a result of an error in the application, incomplete/lack of required documents, inability to confirm their arrival, etc. shall be borne by the applicant, and the received documents will not be returned.)
c) Required documents to be submitted
- Residence application, letter of self-introduction, arts activity plan during the Artists-in-Residence pogram, CV focused on local/international arts activities)
- Arts Portfolio: to be submitted in the form of a digital file (captions included)
․ The image file extension should be *.jpg or *.ppt.
It should not exceed 20 pages per file and the total file size should not exceed 50MB (1MB or less per page)
․ The video file extension should be *.avi and should not exceed 5 minutes. (Media artists or performing artists can provide three files or more, the total file size should not exceed 700MB.)
- The final candidates should submit their medical checkup reports until January, 2012.
9. Selection Procedure and Notification
a) The Selection Committee comprising art professionals will strictly screen all participants.
b) The final decision will be informed by December 23, 2011 (notification date to be determined) and will be posted on the website of Incheon Art Platform: www.inartplatform.kr)
a) The incomplete and insufficient provision of information in the submitted documents may be subject to disadvantages in the selection review process.
b) The received documents will not be returned, and if false information is revealed, the appointment decision of an artist is in question will be canceled.
c) Any disadvantages incurred as a result of not fully understanding the content of this announcement will be borne by the applicant and Incheon Art Platform shall not be held responsible for it.
• Phone: 82.32.760.1003
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Address: Incheon Art Platform, 400-021 10-1 Haean-dong 1ga, Jung-gu, Incheon, S.Korea
October 17, 2011.
Director of Inchen Art Platform